Public Broadcasting Service, shortly termed PBS, is a US-based TV program distributor that mainly focuses on providing educational programs. In PBS, you can stream thousands of full-length episodes, iconic series, award-winning documentaries, and Live TV from 350+ local stations. The PBS offers hit shows and episodes like Finding your Roots, Ken Burns, NOVA, Nature, American Experience, Independent Lens, POV, Great performance, and more. The PBS is available to the Amazon Firestick on the Amazon App Store. But as of now, it is available only in the US. To stream the PBS on Amazon Firestick without geo-restrictions, stream along with a VPN.
How to Download PBS on Firestick
The PBS is natively available on the Amazon app store. So you can install it on your device directly. Here are the steps to follow.
VPN Deal Alert
While streaming online, your IP is both visible to Governments and ISPs which they can use to track your identity and activity online. It is Safe to use a VPN while streaming copyrighted and geo-restricted content.
With NordVPN you can achieve high streaming and downloading speeds, neglect ISP throttling, etc. And also with NordVPN you can generate and store strong passwords, Protect files in an encrypted cloud, and More.
1. Switch on your Firestick device and make sure to connect it to the internet connection.
2. From the Firestick home screen, click on Find and then select the Search option.
3. Type PBS using the virtual keyboard and select the same from the suggestion
4. Select the PBS app.
5. Click on the Download or Get the option to download and install the app on your Firestick,
6. Once the installation is complete, you can select the Open button to launch the app.
The PBS app is installed on your Firestick device.
Alternative Way to Get PBS on Amazon Firestick
There is an alternative way to install the app on your Firestick from your mobile or PC through the Amazon website.
1. Open the web browser on your smartphone or PC and go to Amazon.com.
2. Now, you need to log in to the account and sync with the Firestick device.
3. Then, select the Search bar and type PBS app.
4. From the search result, select the app and click Get or Download.
5. The PBS app will get downloaded and appear on your Firestick.
How to Sideload PBS on Firestick Using the Downloader
If you are unable to find the PBS app on Firestick, it might not be available in your region. In such instances, you can sideload the PBS app using the Downloader app on your Firestick.
1. Select Find from the Firestick home screen and select Search.
2. Type Downloader using the virtual keyboard and select the same from the suggestions.
3. Select the Downloader app and install it on your Firestick.
4. Once the Downloader is installed, go to Firestick Settings and select My Fire TV.
5. Select Developer options.
6. In this section, select Install unknown apps.
7. Click on the Downloader to turn it ON. This will allow the Downloader to sideload apps on your Firestick.
8. Now launch the Downloader app on your Firestick.
9. Select the search bar, type the apk file download URL and click Go.
10. Once the apk file download is complete, click INSTALL.
11. When the installation is over, click DONE.
12. Select the Delete option for the following two prompts to delete the apk file of the PBS app.
How to Activate PBS on Firestick
Once you install the PBS on your Firestick, you have to activate the app to start streaming its content.
1. Launch the PBS app installed previously and click Activate Now.
2. The screen will show you the activation code. Note it on correctly.
3. Then, visit https://www.pbs.org/activate/ from any of the web browsers.
4. Now, enter the activation code in the given box and click continue.
5. Complete the Login process if prompted.
6. Once done, your PBS will get activated successfully, and the content will be available to stream on your Firestick.
Now you can access the PBS content and start streaming it on your Firestick.
What is on PBS App
Once the activation is completed successfully, you can select the content you want to stream and start streaming. After the activation, you will land on the home screen of the PBS app.
Home: This section features the latest releases, news, featured shows, and popular videos. You can access the live TV, and PBS shows from the home page.
Shows: Here, you can find TV shows and documentaries of various genres like art, music, culture, drama, food, history, and more.
Search: You can use the search option to search for a show or documentary in particular.
My List: This section contains all the shows and documentaries that you have added to your list to watch later.
My Station: This section contains local news and content related to your ZIP code or region.
Profile: This contains various account-related information and settings.
How to Stream PBS using Amazon Silk Browser
You can stream PBS on Firestick without installing the app on Firestick using the Amazon Silk Browser. Users can use the Amazon Silk Browser to stream the PBS content from the service’s website.
1. Install the Amazon Silk Browser on your Firestick.
2. Launch the Amazon Silk Browser.
3. Select the search bar and enter the URL pbs.org and click Go.
4. Now, on the PBS website, sign in to your PBS account and start streamings its content.
How to Watch PBS Channels without Cable Connection
Firestick users can watch the PBS channel on Firestick without a cable by subscribing to online television streaming services like Youtube TV or DirecTV.
Youtube TV is one of the most popular streaming services that includes more than 100 live channels that streams news and sports. With YouTube TV on Firestick, you get access to live channels and a vast collection of video-on-demand content like movies and web series. Youtube TV costs $64.99 per month to stream all the live channels, including PBS and PBS Kids channel, on your Firestick device.
DirecTV is one of the most affordable ways to replace the costly cable TV operator. By installing the Direct TV on Firestick and subscribing to the subscription plan that costs $64.99 per month, you get access to live TV, news, sports, and on-demand content like blockbuster films and top-hit TV series on your Firestick device. DirecTV also consists of PBS and PBS Kids channels in its long list of live channels.
More About PBS
- Stream the latest releases and on-demand videos of PBS.
- Customize the curated playlist and watch your favorites at any time and anywhere.
- Get to watch foreign language dramas, including Thou shalt not kill, Professor T, and Line of separations.
- In PBS, you can explore PBS’s local live streams and connect to the PBS stations.
- PBS comes with a passport membership, so you can donate to the local station and stream exclusive content without any ads.
- The new users get seven days of the free trial, where they can watch the content from the General Audience category for free.
PBS is one of the most popular streaming services in the US, but here are some alternate services to stream content on Firestick
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of the content available on the PBS service is free for everyone to watch. But for some content, the PBS requires a PBS Passport membership that costs $5 per month or $60 per year.