Plex is a media streaming device where you can stream any video in your library and live TV shows. With Plex on Firestick, you can stream and manage any of your library content like videos, music, photos, and so on. By using Plex, your library files will be automatically organized, and you can customize them in your style. Also, Plex is one of the best apps on Firestick that you can install. So if you don’t have any streaming app in your Firestick, Plex is an excellent option to stream your files.
What is Plex?
Plex is one of the most downloaded and most favored streaming apps, and it is available for all smartphones and PCs. Apart from these devices, Plex can also be installed on Amazon Firestick and other similar devices. And the Plex platform is nothing but a streaming service that you can access for free with ad support. Even though Plex can be accessed for free, you can get more from Plex by subscribing to Plex Pass.
Features of Plex
The features of Plex are as follows:
- With Plex on your Firestick, your media library can be well organized and make ways for easy navigation.
- The Plex streaming app is supported on all the smartphones. If you have Plex on your smart TV, you can also sync with your phone and stream whatever you want irrespective of devices.
- The best feature of Plex is that it will alter the quality of the video so that your smart TV will stream the video flawlessly.
- With Plex, you can stream video and audio files, images, live TV shows and much more.
- You can share your library files to other Plex accounts easily.
Plex Subscription & Pricing
Plex comes with three subscription plans: $4.99/month for the monthly subscription, $39.99/month for the yearly subscription, and $149.99 for a lifetime subscription. With all the inbuilt customization options and a well-organized user interface, Plex has a considerable amount of users despite its fee. Live TV is one of the primary reasons to opt for Plex subscriptions. Follow the below instructions to know how to install the Plex on Firestick.
Related: How to install Hotstar on Firestick
What will I get from Plex Subscription Pass?
The following are the features you will get from Plex Pass:
- DVR Storage – This feature helps you to record your favorite Live TV shows to watch later.
- Downloads & Mobile Sync – This feature is useful to you when you are trying to access Plex in geo-restricted areas. At that time, you can just download your favorite content and sync it to your mobile. By using this feature, you can access Plex in geo-restricted areas.
- Premium Music Features – You can find any lyrics in the world with LyricFind and also you can tinker with the loudness level of your favorite songs.
- Hardware Accelerated Streaming – This feature comes into play when you’re trying to access the content stored on your Plex Media Server. So, with the Plex pass, you can play the video content stored on the Plex Media Server in a fast and effective manner.
- Free Access to Plex Apps – For a free User, you can only access Plex from the web. So, with a Plex Pass, you can install the Plex app on your Android, iOS, and Windows platform.
What is Plex Media Server?
Plex Media Server is one of the features of Plex, which you can get in either of the free or premium versions. And the Plex media server lets you store your media and Image files for free. Also, you can access the stored files on the Plex Media Server with the Plex app on supported devices. But there is a limitation for free users: your images will be watermarked, and you can only play the audio contents for a minute. However, with a Plex Pass, the access is unlimited.
How to Subscribe to Plex?
Follow the steps below to subscribe to the Plex platform:
1. Visit https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/ on a web browser.
2. Click on the Sign Up button from the upper right corner.
3. You can either Sign up with your social media accounts or enter your E-mail address and Password. Next, click on Create Account.
4. Now, you have successfully created an account on Plex.
NOTE: You can also access the movies and TV shows with a free account. To access the premium features, follow the steps below to get the Plex Pass.
5. Click on Go Premium from the upper right corner.
6. Choose a plan and enter your Credit Card details. Also, you can choose to pay with PayPal.
7. Next, click on Continue to Summary.
Pay for your order and get the Plex Pass. After getting the Plex Pass, you can enjoy all the add-on features.
How to Install Plex on Firestick
Plex is available on Firestick. So, follow the steps below to install Plex on Firestick.
1. Click on Find > Search on the Home screen of your Amazon Firestick.
2. Use the on-screen keyboard to search for the Plex app.
3. Then, choose the Plex app in the search result.
4. Tap on Get or Download button to start the installation process.
5. Wait for the download to complete. The Plex app will be installed on your Firestick when the download is complete.
Related Article: How to install TeaTV on Firestick
Alternative Method – Install Plex on Firestick
Besides the direct method, you can also use the Downloader app to sideload Plex on Fire Stick.
1. First, install the Downloader on Firestick.
2. Next, open the Settings on your Fire TV and select My Fire TV.
3. Now, select Developer options.
4. Choose the Install Unknown apps option.
5. Select the Downloader app and turn it on.
6. Launch the Downloader app from the Your Apps & Channels section.
7. From the Downloader’s home screen, select the URL Box and enter the URL of the Plex APK File https://bit.ly/3gZcc1U.
8. Click on the Go button, and the Plex app will start to download.
9. After downloading the Plex app, click on the Install button.
10. Now, successfully, you have installed the Plex app on Firestick.
How to Activate Plex on Firestick
After the Plex is installed on your Firestick, you need to activate the Plex app to access it. So, follow the steps below to activate Plex on Firestick.
1. Launch the Plex app on Fire TV after installation and click on Sign In.
2. You will get a 4 digit Plex link code on your Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV. Make a note of that code.
3. Now, on your PC or smartphone, go to the Plex activation link https://plex.tv/link.
4. Login with your Plex Premium account.
5. Enter the 4 link code from your Fire TV and click Link.
6. Now, your Plex premium account is linked to your Firestick smart TV. You will get access to stream your video library and live TV shows without any problems.
Related Article: How to install Hulu on Firestick
How to Use Plex on Firestick
After activating the Plex app on Firestick, follow the steps below.
1. Relaunch the Plex app on Firestick.
2. You will be prompted to subscribe to Plex Pass if you haven’t got it already. You can either subscribe or select Not Now to skip this step.
3. If you haven’t got a Plex media server, the server not found message will be displayed. Click on Continue.
4. Now, the Plex home screen will display.
You can now enjoy streaming on Plex.
How to Set Up Plex Server on Firestick
Plex Media Server is not available on Firestick. However, you can access the content stored on the Plex Media Server on the Plex app with Firestick. To do that, you can install the Plex Media Server on your PC and store the media and Image files.
1. On any web browser, visit the URL https://www.plex.tv/downloads/.
2. Download the Plex Media Server software for your Windows PC and install it.
3. Click on the Launch button after installing. Now, you will be redirected to a web page.
4. Enter your Plex login credentials to Sign in.
5. Now, you need to enter the name of your server and make sure you have ticked the checkbox “Allow me to access my media outside my home.” Then, click on Next.
6. Click on the Add Library button.
7. Select the File type and click on Next.
8. Next, select a file to add and click on Add.
9. Now, click on the Add Library button from the lower right corner.
Successfully you have added your media content on the Plex Media Server. Now, you can access the same content on your Firestick.
How to Troubleshoot Plex on Firestick
Sometimes, Plex on your Firestick may not be not working. In that situation, you need to follow the basic troubleshooting methods like restarting your Firestick or reset your Firestick. Also, you can check the internet speed. If all these troubleshooting methods fail, follow the steps below.
1. Go to the Settings on the Plex app.
2. Choose Video from the left pane.
3. Make sure you have enabled the Allow Direct Play and Allow Direct Stream.
Now, you can stream on Plex with Firestick without any disturbance.
How to Install a VPN and stream on Plex
VPN is an essential tool that helps us to stream online safely. Also, it will be impossible for hackers or anyone to steal our data while connected to a VPN. So, follow the steps below to install the ExpressVPN on Firestick to stream on Plex with Firestick.
1. Navigate to Find > Search on the home screen of your Firestick.
2. Use your Fire TV remote to Enter ExpressVPN on the Search Box using the virtual keyboard.
3. Search for the ExpressVPN app and pick the same app from the search result.
4. Click on the Get or Download button.
5. Now, the ExpressVPN app will be installed on your Firestick.
6. Next, click on the Open button to launch the ExpressVPN app.
7. Sign in with your subscription account.
8. Pick the fastest VPN server and select the Connect button.
9. Now, you can launch the Plex app and stream safe and secure on this platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, Plex is a legal platform.
Yes, the Plex app is free to install on your Fire TV.
No, the Plex server is working fine.
Plex is a must-have streaming app in Firestick as you can stream any of your library content. With 100+ Live TV channels in 70+ countries, you don’t need any other streaming services for you. So, install Plex on your Amazon Firestick and get to stream all the contents. If you have any doubts, tell us in the comments section.